Monday, October 5, 2009

Beginnings

Greetings, O Interbutts.

My name is Ben and this is my humble blog. Well, no, that's a lie. And really, I shouldn't start my new blog with a lie. It sets a poor precedent.

My name is Ben and this is my unabashedly precocious, arrogant, self-righteous, and otherwise snobby blog. This is where I am going to start dropping my thoughts for all internet denizens to see, similar to how a loose dog may drop plops for all urban dwellers to smell. In short, I am stinking up your intertubes.

That may well be all you need to know. If not, read on.




To elaborate, this is going to be a mental trash heap. For many years, I have piddled around with fiction. More specifically, I have fussed with a single story, one that I have time and again taken back to the drawing board and retooled to incorporate new knowledge and ideas I have acquired through both life experience and through my college education.

But recently, I came to a conclusion: to box myself into a single story is akin to a painter spending years on end making recreations of the same painting. They may change a color, a face, a tree, and honestly feel as though this is a tremendous step forward, but ultimately they are still working on the same painting.

Having decided that I needed to branch out, I began to attempt other sorts of fiction. Unfortunately, I've had continuous problems with the notion of a "short story", and my ideas inevitably branch into novel concepts and more single-minded obsession with lone concepts. This blog, then, is a method to force myself to branch out creatively. I am going to write whatever ideas come to mind in this space, in whatever format they may come. This may be fiction or non; I may write about blueberry fairies or my musings on the homeless man on the street corner. I may write horror, romance, science fiction, fantasy, etc. And these stories and musings may contain harsh language, violence, and sexuality, though I will always post warnings beforehand in order to preserve the precious, innocent flesh of children's brains.

That being said, enjoy. Any and all feedback is welcomed, though I'm especially fond of constructive feedback and the angered rantings of whiny, oversensitive conservative individuals. If I have inspired you, great! Say something, let me know what you thought of my work. If I have offended you, even better! Say something, so I can enjoy a little shadenfreud.

1 comment:

  1. god all you do is poop on the internet you should be ashamed of yourself

    ReplyDelete